Friday, June 29, 2018

SACRAMENTO TREES FOUNDATION

In May I had to drop off paintings for Sacramento's Crocker Art museum's annual fundraiser auction.  I decided while I was there I would use the time to explore the oaks of that region.  Known as the "City of Trees", I contacted the Sacramento Trees Foundations prior to arriving to get some recommendations.  I visited several parks and found some great examples of healthy, old valley oak trees.  My favorite sites included Consumness River Preserve (South of Sacramento), and several neighborhood city parks.
Large Valley oak
I have forgotten the name of this park, but it sat in the middle of a neighborhood of apartments and single family dwellings on 3 sides and commercial buildings on the 4th side.  Supposedly one of Sacramento's largest valley oaks lived in this park, but among the 8 + huge valley oaks I couldn't tell which one was the largest.  All healthy specimens, however.

NATOMAS PARK
My favorite place however, (visited twice) was the Natomas "Heritage Oak Grove".  Also situated in a neighborhood, off of the Garden Highway, next to the American River.  The park contains remnants of an historic oak forest that once filled the entire Sacramento River Valley.  The total acreage of valley oak woodlands is less than 10% of what it was 150 years ago.  These trees are aged between 200 to 350 years old. 
Natomas Heritage Oak Grove
Valley oaks are the tallest of the oaks.  To get a feel of their height, my husband took this photo of me in the middle of the grove.  It's hard to describe the feeling of being among these magnificent trees, but I know the land use stewardship practices of the Maidu people who inhabited this land for hundreds (perhaps thousands) of years is the reason for the health and longevity of these trees.  Thanks to them, we can continue to enjoy their beauty today.  Also thanks to the Sacramento Trees Foundation for educating the public and protecting these trees for future generations. Finally, appreciation must go to Austin B. Carroll (1917-2002), who is credited with preserving Sacramento's oaks and helping to start the Sacramento Trees Foundation.

NEXT POST:  Avenue of the Sun, (Oak Hinge), 2018 Summer Solstice, Joseph Grant Santa Clara County Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment