Tuesday, February 5, 2019

OAKS, FIRES AND PLANS FOR 2019


It has been several months since my last post.  My focus has been elsewhere during that time, preparing work for my Sacramento gallery, fires in the oak regions, holidays, and a bad cold.  I'm back now, painting, planning trips to oak territory, and educating myself about these iconic trees.

 This is a recent painting from a scene on the Hopland Research and Extension Center (U.C.Davis) property, that was untouched by the devastating River Fire, last July.  Two thirds of the oak woodlands and chaparral were burned.   On my last visit to the property in September, I photographed much of the fire ravaged area but also looked for places that were untouched for subject matter to paint.  I will be visiting there in the Spring, hoping to see new growth and wildflowers on and around the fire affected oaks.

During the Winter I paint mostly from photographs, and plan my travels to California's oak regions.  This year my plans include Marine County, the Sierra Foothills east of Sacramento, and ranch lands in the central part of the state (between Gilroy and the Central Valley).

I also spent several days last October, painting and photographing beautiful Bidwell park, just east of Chico. In the Autumn, the park's Blue Oaks turn wonderful shades of rust, and grey green.   It's soft rolling grassy hills and oak woodlands  narrowly escaped the devastating Paradise fire.  I hope to return again this coming year to capture more of it on canvas before more fires threaten.

For the first time since I have lived on the North Coast (40+ yrs), and passed the turn off to Covelo (north of Ukiah) from Hwy 101 hundreds of times,  I finally took the turnoff.  The road (almost 30 miles) leads to a beautiful valley and the Round Valley Indian Reservation.  Someone who follows my work recommended that area for wonderful oak scenery. They were right.  I took lots photos, and am in the process of narrowing down some of the images I want to paint from that trip.  This is one small painting (11 x 14) from that trip.
Anyone with recommendations for beautiful oak scenery, I would love to hear from you.  Please contact me through my web site: kathyoleary.com


No comments:

Post a Comment